30. elokuuta 2017

In English: The legendary Flogsta scream



Does it really happen?

Why do they shout?

Is it every evening?

What the hell?

Yes, it is real. People do scream from their balconies or windows every evening at 10pm.
I spoke with my cousin who has been in exchange in Uppsala as well but many years earlier than me. She didn't live in Flogsta but once visiting the place for a party, when the clock hit 10pm they went to rooftop in order to scream. Nowadays the rooftop doors are locked. Maybe because it's dangerous? Some say the studen't messed up the rooftops. Who knows.


Okay, so why do people scream?

A legend says, a student committed suicide in the 1970's  and the scream has started for this student's memory. 

..Or then it might be just a "social way" to let out stress, anger, frustration and other commonly experienced feelings among students. The tradition has started in 1980's due to examweek.

But one thing is for sure, this is an awesome tradition. It kinda symbols the connection, empathy between the students. I mean isn't it cool when you scream out of your balcony, and then you get an answer immediately from many other students you don't even know. Like an echo.

If you want some audio material, there's plenty of them in Youtube . Should I say.. Enjoy? :D


What is my opinion from a Finnish perspective?

Go to study in Sweden they said, it'll be easy they said....
Studies started a few days ago, and on the first day, Monday we got 200 pages to read. Due on Wednesday. Oh hell no. Is it going to be like this the whole semester? Hopefully not but at least now I feel like screaming from the top of my lungs. Flogsta scream is going to be the saviour of my days. 

I've read about Flogsta scream before I even knew I'd have my exchange here in Uppsala. Back in Finland where I come from, in Jyväskylä there's a legendary student housing area called Kortepohja.

There's a slogan "Onko Kortepohja hereillä??!" = "Is Kortepohja awake??!"
It was invented in Jodel. Every day 00:12 someone writes the slogan with capslock.

But I mean that's quite...lame.
Though it's a tradition.

Kortepohja, how about we start screaming the slogan out of the window every evening at 00:12?



- Maija

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti